Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Changes are brewing

So you may be wondering why I am able to blog during the day whilst I am homeschooling my children? Well, I'm no longer homeschooling. That's right. I offered my beauties up like lambs for the slaughter to this great evil world. The reasons why I will discuss another day. They have been going to public school since January 4th. The first two weeks I laid around the house in a pathetic stupor of mind and body, seeing all the things that I could and should be doing with all my time that was recently and graciously freed up. But, for some strange reason all that I wanted to be doing was home school, even though a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders the second - and I mean that literally - I withdrew them from my schooling and enrolled them into the local school's care. It's disheartening, isn't it? That we always want or pine for the things that we can't have. It is human nature I suppose. Part of that vicious beast that must be tamed by the spirit. I am happy to report though that I have perked up a bit and promptly deep cleaned my house. Not all of it - I'm saving some for later - but I am up and going again. I must say that I miss my kiddos terribly.
While I am confessing I should probably document that we have had many losses on Flunkternut Farm over the past two month. The first were the chickens. Like I said, changes are brewing in this house of shifts and dives, but I'm not going to talk about reasons right now. We had to find new homes for our ladies and were able to find two wonderful places for them to live. Thank you to those who took our beloved birds. The next sacrifice was Jenny May. She is no longer with us. She lives on the family farm of the Brencs, while our neighbors think that she resides in our freezer, ha, ha, ha, ahhhh. Andrew is a retired lawyer from D.C. and Joyce is a midwife. They have five children and their whole family is just wonderful. I loved them the moment I met them and I am so happy that Jenny is in their hands. She wasn't a very good girl for them in the beginning but she has calmed down and is very happy there. And last, but not least, is Little Mister. Unfortunately this is not quite an end like the others have shared. Little Mister got stuck in a mud pit that formed around the feed trough where he was staying. By the time he was found he was completely spent and he let his face fall into the mud, he had given up. Our friend was able to pull him from the pit but Little Mister had been in there for almost twenty four hours. He couldn't stand or walk and the night had been below zero so he started to get a terrible cold. We brought him back here with Jenny May to cheer him up, try to get him better, and keep an eye on him. We kept him for just over two weeks and he seemed to be doing well so we transferred him back to the other property that we were keeping him on. Within the next week he died. Now, for farm people this is not a great loss. One of our friends suggested donating him to the zoo for the lions. I am a city girl through and through and I couldn't do that. So there you have it. Flunkternut Farm is no longer a farm - unless you count my children as animals that occupy space here, which sometimes I do!
Change is not always bad though. I absolutely DON'T miss hauling two fifty five pound buckets of water out to the barn twice a day through the snow, up hill both ways, yadah, yadah. I don't miss milking a cow in the cold and dark. I don't miss mucking a stall in the cold. I don't like being cold. We are moving into new and exciting times here at out abode and we are looking forward to our future. All will be well and settled again soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment