Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Old things revisited - part III

This summer we had so much fun going camping with our friends and their kids. Butterfly Personified brought a friend, and Dash and Princess Buttercup's best friends are brother and sister, so that worked out great.
We went to Hocking Hills State Park in southern Ohio. I love it there. It is one of my favorite places that I have ever been to. We went on a hike called 'Old Man's Cave' (my particular favorite). I was really disappointed though. There was hardly any water anywhere. Normally the waterfalls are gushing, and this time, they were all pretty much just a trickle.
This is the 'Devil's Bathtub'. The water falls from the upper slide down into a bowl, swirling around in there before it overflows onto the lower slide and continues down the river. Here again, trickle...trickle. Even though it was still gorgeous.
We found this beauty and I had to take a picture. Lucky for it, I don't have the desire to poke things with pins behind the thorax and bring them home. She is lovely though.
Exhibit B of trickle...trickle. The kids are pretty cute though.
Butterfly Personified and her pal.
We went on a hike called 'Ash Cave' and when you get to the end of it there is a huge waterfall (usually) and a big pond that is surrounded by sand. All the kids had a blast in the sand - yuck - but what I loved is that Butterfly Personified and her friend made these little Inca sand mounds. BP topped hers with this flower. She searched all over for the rocks to use. I just love that girls brain!
Her friend made one with stairs and a mote!
In their spare time the would go to a little secluded place that was close to our camp site and they made this fort. They gathered all the tree branches to stand up around for the walls. Their little luxury hut has a fire place, chairs, fern carpeting, and a nice open airiness. All I have to say it that the next kids that stayed at that site had it made!
We got there on a Thursday and left on Saturday. It was just a short run but it was certainly packed full. I was so exhausted when we got back and very, VERY, thankful for my soft bed - we slept on the ground - and a flushing toilet!

No comments:

Post a Comment